Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Those bright eyes...

It was 2nd week of October in 2011. At work place, they organize joy of giving which usually lasts a week. So we call it a "Joy of giving week". My friend, my colleague Sana asked me to bring something to donate, for those unfortunate hands in need. In mind I always pity those who are poor, disabled and unfortunate. My heart usually prays for them, for their strengths and health, when I see them on streets. And I was happy that this was an opportunity and a channelized way to reach them and their troubles by stretching out my short hands, a little bit. 

Every day in that week, I enter the campus to see stalls around, collecting donations. At the sight, I repent..."Aaaargh.. I forgot today, in my busy morning schedules... stupid me...!!" Then I would promise myself to keep something ready in the evening as I reach home. This continued for the whole week and finally on the last day, I gave up saying a "Sorry" to Sana. I prayed for another opportunity to experience this joy!!

It was not too long past this "Joy of giving" week. I was on a weekend outing with my family on a Sunday evening. On the way back home, I had planned to pickup a few sheets of iron tablets for myself as suggested by the doctor, for being restless and feeling tired. My husband stopped near a medical store, not too crowded, but with a good number of customers. As I stepped out of my seat, he said he would wait for me a little ahead, where there was some space to park the vehicle without hampering the traffic flow. I stood near the counter of the store waiting for an attendant. 

That person was attending an old man. He was holding a child, may be an year old, whom he placed down on the ground, to reach his prescription in the pocket. By looks, anyone could make out that he was weak and sick, also poor. While he was talking to the store keeper, my eyes were pinned on the child. She was not cute as Anne Giddes baby photograph. She was not wearing a colorful dress. But she caught my attention. She was clean, her round face shone with glitter of that yellow-halogen street light. Her eyes were very bright. She stared at me with a serious look, but the seriousness faded as we exchanged a smile. 

I turned at the counter to see if it was my turn next. The old man was counting two Rs.20 notes with a Rs.10 note. He put it on the counter and pushed towards the store keeper. "65 rupees" said the store keeper. The old man tapped his pockets and pulled out another Rs.10 from his pocket. He was struggling to gather and count a few coins to make it 5. Finally, he paid his bills and collected the medicines. The little girl on the floor, pulled his Dhoti and said something. The old man waved his hand saying no, looking at her with his eyebrows shrunk in the middle. Now she demanded by hitting her grand-dad. The old man moved a bit ahead and called her out. She was stubborn. She showed she wouldn't come if her demands were not fulfilled. 

"Yes madam!!"... The store keeper called out diverting my attention. I ordered my needs, but my eyes were always looking at this little child. The store keeper came back with my medicines and said the amount was Rs.184. I gave him two Rs.100 bills. 

By now, the grand-father was trying to console and convince the child that he didn't have money. He was showing his empty pockets. The child turned towards the store once and back to her grand father. I noticed the tear droplets flowing from her eyes.

"Madam I don't have change! Do you.... !!??" The store keeper called out. 

My mind was working very fast at few things. The old man, the child, her demands, their poverty, he convincing her, consoling her, dragging her, ..... joy of giving, no change....!! "NO CHANGE" hit my brains. All of a sudden I said... "Give chocolates for all 16 rupees!" 

He handed over 8 cadbury shots, Rs.2 each. I picked my medicine cover and those candies and ran out pushing out the crowd which gathered around me in no time. I was worried, that I was a bit late in taking that decision and they might have moved away by now. I ran ahead and I could see my car waiting for me. My eyes were looking all around to see if I could find them. Suddenly, I heard a cry and turned towards the direction of that sound. There I saw that the little kid was not yet convinced and that now, she was weeping badly. The old man was showing her the medicines in his hand, and was telling that he might have to give them back to buy her the candies. Sighting them made me feel good.

My hands stretched to called out... "Take it!! Its all for you!!" 
Old man said "No She will cry for some time and she'll be okay!!"
I just pushed 2 of the candies in her hand and handed over remaining to the old man. I looked back at her, she had stopped crying.. and now I heard only a sobs... She looked at me with a beautiful smile on her face. I saw in her eyes once before moving back. They were bright, shining more than ever with a little twinkling tear droplet just falling off!

My heart was heavy. My throat nerves were tightened.I came back to the car, sat in my seat and told my husband about that little one. He lightly patted my shoulders. I had actually experienced the joy of giving when I saw her eyes....those bright eyes....

1 comment:

Sahana said...

Its so heart touching story. So beautifully worded. Love & prayers to all those wonderful kids.